Get ready to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee in style with a whole host of events in Darlington. Everyone is invited to mark the occasion, whether the amazing town centre celebrations or throw your own street party. Let’s make it a Jubilee to remember!
There’s so much going on across the borough to mark this historic occasion, over an extended Bank Holiday weekend in June. And there truly is something for everyone! Here are just some of the things you can expect:
- A lawn will laid in the Market Square and deckchairs set up in front of a big screen which will be showing Mary Poppins, as well as live screenings from London include the Trooping of the Colour and The Party at the Palace.
- At 2pm on Thursday 2nd June, Darlington’s town crier, Peter Stemmer, will join hundreds of town criers and Pearly Kings and Queens across the country in announcing a specially-written proclamation heralding the lighting of the beacons later that evening.
- At 9.35pm a piper will play Diu Regnare, a unique tune specially-written for the occasion by Pipe Major, Stuart Liddell, the world’s leading piper. This will be followed by a cornet announcing the lighting of the beacon at 9.45pm.
- At 9.45pm, we will be lighting one of more than 1,500 beacons in recognition of The Queen’s long service.
- There will be children’s activities, a double decker bus bar and live music in the Market Square a well as the chance to enjoy an afternoon tea at the Dolphin Centre.
- We’ll be planting 3,500 trees as part of the Queen’s Green Canopy.
We’d love to see you there and dressed in your best regal outfit. Make sure you share your photos with us on social media!
Address: Market Place, Darlington, UK